Finnish Broadcasting Company YLE has today revealed yet more details of the 2013 edition of UMK, Uuden musiikin kilpailu (Contest for new music). The top 12 will be revealed in December, and the first show on 27 December 2012 will also introduce the acts. Then on the two following Thursdays we follow the judges meeting the acts for the first time.
From 17 January there will be a live concert from the Circus night club in central Helsinki on three consecutive Thursdays, leading up to the final on Saturday 9 February in Barona Arena in Espoo. There will be eight contestants left in the final, and the winner will represent Finland in Malmö in May.
The judges were revealed as Toni Wirtanen, Redrama, Aija Puurtinen and Tomi Saarinen at the weekend. Award winning rapper Redrama says he is delighted to be part of UMK and is going into it with an open mind. Toni Wirtanen, famous for legendary band Apulanta says he is the big softie of the jury, that will allow all of those through, who have fire in their souls!
Aija Puurtinen, PhD in music, composer, music lecturer and an artist, would not want to call herself a judge as much as a mentor. I am going to have a constructive role. Tomi Saarinen, YleX head of music, has been voted as one of the most influential people in Finnish music industry. He wants to find material that is genuinely good and has to make it even outside the contest.
UMK on Yle TV2, always at 20.00 CET (21.00 local time):
- 27 December: UMK top 12
- 03 January: Judges meet the contestants
- 10 January: Judges meet the contestants
- 17 January: Live gig from club Circus in Helsinki. Jury and audience votes decide who will continue further.
- 24 January: Live gig from club Circus in Helsinki. Jury and audience votes decide who will continue further.
- 31 January: Live gig from club Circus in Helsinki. Jury and audience votes decide who will continue further.
- 9 February: Final at Barona Arena, Espoo